Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What my Grandma would have said...

Last night was amazing. I will admit that out loud I was saying "Of course it will happen." But inside I really didn't think they would allow it. I always make fun of people who say "They". My husband always says, "They say it's a great movie?", "They won't let a black man win the lottery." etc. I always ask, "Who are they?" Well, whomever "They" are, I thought "They" would keep Barack Obama from winning last night. My mom must have felt the same way, because somehow she kept from getting too excited over this past year. She seemed to want me to not get my hopes up. I don't think it clicked that this might actually happen until Barack won her state. The great state of Ohio. When I called her, she sounded shocked and hopeful. When at exactly 11:00PM, MSNBC announced that Barack Obama would be the next President of the United States, I exploded in tears and my husband dropped down to his knees. It was surreal.

The funny thing is what I keep thinking about is my Grandma Jones. What would she have thought? I remember a story my mom told me years ago. During the Martin Luther King Jr. era, my mother was just a little girl. One day, when watching him speak on the television, my Grandma looked at the TV and said, "That Niggas gonna get us killed." What would she say about Obama? To be honest, my fear is that my grandma is half right. What if he gets himself killed. I pray each and every day for his protection. I really don't know if the black community could take it. Good or bad, I have put a lot of my hopes and dreams in t this man, and will do whatever I need to do to help his presidency be a successful one.

On November 4th I didn't vote for Barack Obama. I voted for my little boys Cole and Eli. I voted for my 87 year old Grandfather who is probably still crying from yesterdays news. I voted for the Godmothers of both of my boys who are either in, going to, or returning from Iraq and Afghanistan at any given time. Most importantly, I voted for a child of God. A man just like me.

May God Bless and protect President Elect Barack Obama.

No comments: